Dear CLA families,
I hope you and your family enjoyed your time over spring break and are getting back to in the swing of things! It is hard to believe that we only have 8 weeks of school left. Embedded into those 8 weeks include end of the year testing, state testing, Celebration of Learning and spring trips. Throughout the next few weeks, we know that it can be stressful due to the amount of testing, and we understand that not all students, or people in general, truly enjoy taking tests, so we will focus on the mindset of the students during crew.
As always, the family communications update is below:
- The following tests/quizzes are scheduled for this week:
- Monday – 8th grade Informational writing prompt
- Tuesday and Wednesday – Math MAP tests (all grades)
- Thursday – 6th grade science final exam, 7th grade writing final exam
- State Testing – all students should be at school on time in order to eat a hot breakfast and mentally prepare for the day:
- English – April 17 and 18
- Math – May 1 and 2
- Science (8th grade only) – May 8 and 9
- Reminder!!!! Trimester 3 – Missing Mastery Assignments Update: For the remainder of the year, mastery assignments will not be accepted for a grade if they are turned in more than 2 weeks after the assigned due date. For example, an essay due on Thursday, April 5, would not be accepted after Thursday, April 19. The purpose of this policy shift is to support students in developing accountability for their work habits that will be necessary to be successful in their upcoming grade and specifically high school. To further support them in this, teachers will provide students with missing assignment reports every Monday. Students will continue to receive progress reports on their grades every other week. Additionally, grade information, including missing assignments, can always be obtained by accessing the PowerSchool parent portal.
- Please remember to send your scholar to school in dress code daily. If you have questions about the dress code, you can reach out to the deans or reference pages 37-38 in the Student and Family Handbook. Parents of 6th graders, please be aware that your scholar is not to dress down on his/her birthday. We have seen a number of 6th-grade students doing this, and it results in the school having to call home for uniform clothing to be brought to the school. This is a privilege for the 8th-grade CLA scholars, as it began through a student-driven petition.
- The next Saturday Detention is scheduled for April 14 from 9:00 a.m. to noon. Mr. Levy or Ms. Clayton will contact you to inform you if your scholar has a detention to serve on that day.
- Select students will be traveling to a number of different fieldwork opportunities on Friday, April 6th.
- LRI Science Day – from 8:00 am 1:00 pm.
- NASA Glenn Research Center to participate in the Middle School Computer Science Day
- Girl Power! Our 8th grade and select 7th grade girls will be attending this 2nd annual event at the Cleveland Library.
|Fundraising and PAC Updates
- April PAC Meeting will be held at 5:00 on Tuesday, April 10. Dinner will be provided. Immediately following, we have additional parent meetings:
- 6th Grade – CVEEC Parent Info Session
- 7th Grade – High School Info Night (see separate flyer)
- 8th Grade – Jr. Prom Updates
- Every Friday during lunch, the Snack Shack will be open. All snacks are $1 or 3 items for $2.50.
- Entertainment Books are on sale. You can pick yours up in the main office for $30. We are hoping that we can sell 50 books by spring break! Some coupons include: Cici’s Pizza, Big Boy, Papa John’s, Popeyes, Mr. Hero, bowling, Chuck E. Cheese’s, hockey games, and much more!
As always, please reach out with any questions!