August 22, 2014,
Dear CLA Families,
Welcome to the 2014-2015 school year! We are excited to start our fourth year with you and your student(s). We are looking forward to both a thrilling and challenging school year. It has truly been an honor getting to know our new families and reconnecting with our returning families over the week.
This week the students dove right into their content classes and began their mini case studies. In an Expeditionary Learning school, students will learn their standards through a variety of case studies and will showcase their work at the end of semester. We are excited to celebrate the learning of the mini case studies with you at Curriculum Night (Wednesday, September 10 at 5:30). Students also learned, practiced, and mastered the protocols of their classrooms, breakfast/lunch, and dismissal. Each and every student worked incredibly hard, and we saw tremendous growth from Monday to today.
Our school focuses on ensuring that all scholars will master grade level content in all areas. We also take pride in building a positive culture that is driven by our essential questions; please have continuous conversations with your student(s) around these topics:
- Grade 6: How does a community thrive?
- Grade 7: What makes a morally courageous person?
- Grade 8: What makes a civically engaged person?
All CLA staff members will hold your student(s) to high academic expectations and high behavioral expectations. We push them to fulfill their full potential in education and as a positive, responsible and respectful person in society. This is done through teaching and embodying our 6 Habits of Scholarship (Use of class time, collaboration, reflection, discussion, cooperation, and organization & responsibility).
As we move into the second week of school, there are just a few reminders and updates:
- After school clubs will begin on September 2, the Tuesday after Labor Day – not next week. All students will be notified of their club by Wednesday, August 27th.
- We still have a limited number of seats left for Boys and Girls Club. If you are interested in signing up your student, please contact the main office as soon as possible.
- If you haven’t completed and submitted your paperwork, it is imperative that you do so:
- Emergency Medical Authorization
- Health History Form
- Free & Reduced Lunch Form
We look forward to working with you and your student this year and promoting a healthy and successful learning environment for all students at Citizens Leadership Academy!
Sydney S. Gruhin