Dear CLA Families,
I hope you are having a good weekend! As you know, this week we our students and our teachers will be engaging in the practice AIR state tests tomorrow morning (see the schedule below). These tests give our students the ability to practice state testing expectations, just like an athlete or musician would rehearse for a game or concert. They also provide our teachers with important data on student mastery so they can focus in on what your child needs before the state tests in April and May. The practice tests that the students will be taking are mastery grades. As Monday approaches, please have a conversation with your child about the importance of these assessments and what he/she can do to be successful. Throughout this week, please ensure your child is getting enough rest and a full breakfast, either at home or at school. Attendance these three days is critical, including arriving to school on time (by 7:45 a.m.) as the tests are in the morning.
As always, the family communications update is below:
- Visit citizensleadership.org/slc to sign up for student-led conferences Feb. 14-15. If you haven’t signed up, you can go to the website or you can call the front office at 216-229-8185 to do so. Throughout the week reminder calls and texts will be made to you. As a reminder, school will be dismissed at 1:00 on Wednesday! Additionally, there is no school for students on Thursday, Friday or Monday (President’s Day). Please use this time complete missing mastery assignments and push to bring up grades before the end of the trimester!
- The results of the practice AIR assessments will be shared with families toward the end of February. Here is the schedule for this week:
- Monday, Feb. 12 – English practice AIR assessment (all grades)
- Tuesday, Feb. 13 – Math practice AIR assessment (all grades)
- Wednesday, Feb. 14:
- 8th – Science practice AIR assessment
- 7th – Social studies unit test and science midyear exam
- 6th – Social studies midyear exam
- Eighth grade did an amazing job on their Black History Month presentations on Friday – check CLA’s Facebook page (facebook.com/citizensleadership) for pictures! Save the date for our sixth-grade Black History Month presentations. Scholars across all three grade levels will research a significant figure and then present dressed up as the subject of their research. Parents are invited in to the presentations in any block (times below), but are encouraged to come during their child’s block if possible!
- Wednesday, Feb. 28 – 6th grade in Ms. Smemo’s social studies class
- Block 1 = 8:15-9, block 2 = 9:30-10:15, block 4 = 12:45-1:30, block 5 = 2-2:45
- We have seen a significant uptick in negative behavior and conversations on social media. Please work with us and make sure that you are monitoring your child’s social media account. Any threats that are on made on social media and brought to our attention will be addressed in a serious manner (which can include suspension).
- The 2nd annual Breakthrough Black History Month presentation will be held on Wednesday, February 28, at 6:00 at Citizens Academy. We hope that you will come to support our students who are performing in dance, spoken word, and drumming.
||CLA has reserved tickets for a matinee performance of “Darius & Twig” at Playhouse Square at 10 a.m. on Friday, March 2. We invite all parents to attend the 60-minute show with their child/children! CLA will provide tickets and transportation; let the main office know if you plan to attend. We will leave CLA at 9:30 and return at approximately 11:30 a.m. Here is a description of the play:
Darius writes. Twig runs. Both are really good, and their talents could win them college scholarships. But these two 16-year-old best friends face tough challenges. Living on the ever-dangerous streets of Harlem, they confront huge problems like violence, poverty, drug and alcohol abuse, bullies, and “the system” – plus their own fears and doubts. They have each other’s backs – but with all these things working against their hopes and dreams, can they ever really escape the hood? Based on the award-winning novel by Walter Dean Myers, this is a captivating tale about the power of friendship. Street-smart and suspenseful, playful and profound, Darius & Twig is ultimately the story of two young men who must overcome obstacles by finding the best within themselves.
|Fundraising and PAC Updates
- Please join us on Tuesday, February 13, at Chipotle in University Circle (Uptown) from 4-8 p.m. to get dinner (you can come anytime within that window). 50% of the proceeds from this event will be given back to CLA! When you order, you must say you are there to support CLA or show the flyer.
- Wednesday, February 14, is a $1.00 dress down for students! Students should wear red or pink. All funds raised will go toward the CLA spring trips.
- Every Friday during lunch, the Snack Shack will be open. All snacks are $1 or 3 items for $2.50.
As always, please reach out with any questions!