Dear CLA Families,
I hope you had an enjoyable weekend and were able to take advantage of the weather today. We ended the week with a great PAC movie event. The student enjoyed watching (and hanging out) Justice League. It is always so great to provide fun activities and engage in non academic settings with the students. This week is the final week of Trimester 2 (hard to believe!), and report cards will be mailed next Friday, March 9. Please remind your child to turn in any missing mastery assignment by Tuesday, March 27. If you have any questions regarding your child’s grades, please reach out to your child’s teacher or to me early in the week.
As always, the family communications update is below:
- The practice English NGA state tests have been scored and entered into the gradebook for English class (writing in skills class for seventh grade). The scores are converted into percentages based on their corresponding proficiency band (advanced = A, accelerated = B, proficient = C, limited = D, basic = F). This week, English teachers have been sharing results of the test with students and using the data to adjust instruction. Please reach out to your child’s English teacher with any questions, such as if you would like to see the essay your child wrote as part of the test. We will continue to share ways to help your child prepare for the English state test on April 17 and 18.
- The following tests/quizzes are scheduled for next week:
- Monday – 7th grade science quiz
- Wednesday – 7th grade math quiz
- Thursday – 7th grade writing prompt, English quiz
- Thursday – 8th grade math quiz
- Save the date for our sixth-grade Black History Month presentations. Parents are invited in to the presentations in any block (times below), but are encouraged to come during their child’s block if possible!
- Wednesday, Feb. 28, in Ms. Smemo’s social studies class
- Block 1 = 8:15-9, block 2 = 9:30-10:15, block 4 = 12:45-1:30, block 5 = 2-2:45
- The 2nd annual Breakthrough Black History Month presentation will be held on Wednesday, February 28, at 6 p.m. at Citizens Academy. We hope that you will come to support our students who are performing in dance, spoken word, and drumming.
- We are continuing to ensure that we are supporting our families and we want to track our progress while we tweak some of the internal systems of CLA. Please take some time to complete a brief family survey; the link is: https://goo.gl/forms/1zMujWuWgJvxbxQz1
- On March 1, sixth graders in Ms. Spade’s crew are hosting a “Choose Kind” dress down day for $1. Students must wear blue, the color of their current novel, Wonder, which has sparked a national “Choose Kind” campaign. All proceeds will be donated to the Children’s Craniofacial Association.
- We have seen a significant uptick in negative behavior and conversations on social media. Please work with us and make sure that you are monitoring your child’s social media account. Any threats that are on made on social media and brought to our attention will be addressed in a serious manner (which can include suspension).
- On Wednesday, Feb. 28, a group of eighth graders will hear from a guest expert for their Holocaust case study. Marcia Wexberg will share the two very different stories of her parents, both Holocaust survivors. Please join us from 1:30-2:30 p.m. for her presentation!
- CLA has reserved tickets for a matinee performance of “Darius & Twig” at Playhouse Square at 10 a.m. on Thursday, March 1. We invite all parents to attend the 60-minute show with their child/children! CLA will provide tickets and transportation; let the main office know if you plan to attend. We will leave CLA at 9:30 and return at approximately 11:30 a.m. Here is a description of the play:
Darius writes. Twig runs. Both are really good, and their talents could win them college scholarships. But these two 16-year-old best friends face tough challenges. Living on the ever-dangerous streets of Harlem, they confront huge problems like violence, poverty, drug and alcohol abuse, bullies, and “the system” – plus their own fears and doubts. Street-smart and suspenseful, playful and profound, Darius & Twig is ultimately the story of two young men who must overcome obstacles by finding the best within themselves.
|Fundraising and PAC Updates
- Please note that the February PAC meeting date has been changed to Tuesday, March 6 at 5:00. This is due to the Breakthrough Black History Month Event. We hope to see you there!
- Every Friday during lunch, the Snack Shack will be open. All snacks are $1 or 3 items for $2.50.
As always, please reach out with any questions!