Dear returning CLA families,
It’s hard to believe that we are already halfway through July and that the school year will be starting in just four weeks! Enrollment is going well this summer; we have very few openings in seventh and eighth grade, but we do have approximately fifteen openings in sixth grade, so if you have any family or friends who are interested, please have them stop by the building or call me for enrollment information! Our new teachers start next week and our returning teachers will be joining them on August 1. I can’t wait to dive into the CLA culture and EL Education trainings with everyone.
Throughout the summer, we have reflected on the culture of CLA and have revised our Student and Family Handbook to ensure we are doing what is best for students. With that, we will be transitioning to a culture of restorative practices. We will continue to have a progressive discipline structure that offers consistency, but we will shift from focusing on what rules were broken and what the punishment will be, to what harm was caused to the community and how to repair that harm. So, for example, instead of sitting in detention in silence, we will have restorative circles where students and deans, and at times teachers and parents, talk about what logical consequence will best repair the harm, making sure the student is invested in making the repair. EL Education has provided us with guidelines for implementing restorative practices, and we’ve spoken with two local schools, Facing History New Tech and Urban Community School, who have successfully implemented this discipline system.
We are excited to review the restorative practices process during before-school conferences on Wednesday, August 8, and Thursday, August 9, with you, your student and their 2018-2019 crew leader. These visits will be structured similarly to student-led conferences, as you will be able to meet with your student’s crew leader to review the updated handbook, set goals for the upcoming year, and most importantly begin building relationships! During this time, you will also be able to meet our new leaders and teachers and see the returning leaders and teachers of the building.
It is essential that you call to reserve your time for your 20-minute before-school conference. Please call Ms. Pratt in the main office at 216-229-8185 to secure your time (she will know the name of your student’s crew leader). The time frames are below:
- Wednesday, August 8, from 11-7 p.m.
- Thursday, August 9, from 7:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
Lastly, just a few quick reminders:
- Remind your scholar to complete his or her summer reading assignment and math stretch packet — copies of the assignments are on our website! If you have questions about this, please join us on Tuesday, July 17, to discuss summer reading and/or Tuesday, July 31, to discuss summer math.
- If your scholar is entering seventh grade, be sure to get the needed immunization booster and return that paperwork to the main office.
- As always, the school supply list is incredibly short!! are asking all students to bring the following items to homeroom on the first day of school:
- 2 boxes of tissue
- 2 bottles of hand sanitizer
- 1 box of pencils
- 1 box of pens (black or blue)
- 1 set of ear phone buds (only bud-style headphones are permitted to be worn) (students will be responsible for their set of these on a daily basis)
As mentioned above, I am incredibly excited for the start of the upcoming year, and I am eager to share the exciting changes with you and your scholar. The final CLA calendar is included, posted on our website here. As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give me a call. I am excited to share introduction of our new staff in just a few short weeks with you!