Dear Parents and Families:
Our countdown to the Ohio Achievement Assessments (OAA) has begun! The importance of these assessments is paramount. The results of these assessments allow the State to monitor the academic performance of our students. We also use the results to determine the appropriate academic grade level placement for our scholars.
Our school-wide focus in preparing for the OAAs is on building stamina, increasing students’ understanding and awareness of academic vocabulary, and building students’ confidence in their reading, math and science skills. Stamina is essential for students to persevere through difficult reading passages and math problems across a testing period. Please review the following information in order to support your child in preparing for these very important assessments.
When is the OAA?
|Wednesday, April 30th||Thursday, May 1st||Monday, May 5th||Tuesday, May 6th|
|7th grade Reading||7th grade Math||6th grade Reading||6th grade Math|
|Wednesday, May 7th||Thursday, May 8th||Friday, May 9th|
|8th grade Reading||8th grade Math||8th grade Science|
What is Citizens Leadership Academy doing to prepare my scholar for the OAA?
- Beginning Monday, March 31st all students will focus exclusively on independent reading, vocabulary work and testing strategies during their daily RES period.
- Beginning the week of April 14th, the majority of Math, English and 8th grade Science periods will focus on providing your scholar with comprehension and math problem solving strategies so they have the confidence to complete the exams to the best of their ability.
What can I do to help my child prepare for the test?
- Ensure your scholar arrives to school on time every day so they do not miss any instructional time; if your scholar would like breakfast they must arrive to school by 7:30.
- Ensure your child is reading every evening for at least 30 minutes. Talk to them about the book they are reading and what they are learning about in school.
- Have them practice their computation and problem solving skills on XtraMath, Khan Academy, IXL and Arithmetic Four (https://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/ArithmeticFour/).
Thank you for working with CLA and for your continued support in advancing the academic achievement of our scholars. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call.
Sydney Gruhin, Principal Anne Priemer, Director of Curriculum & Instruction