Dear CLA families,
Thank you for one of the strongest starts we have had to a school year. We made a number of changes with our expectations and students are meeting them. We also appreciate your patience while we fix the bugs with PowerSchool, we were told today that PowerSchool would be corrected first thing Thursday morning, so that is the day that we are planning to print and send progress reports home. I will send a Remind message to confirm! Please note: on the progress report, you will see the breakdown grade percentage between mastery (75%) and habits of leadership (25%). Progress reports are just what the name says – a snapshot of where your child stands every two/three weeks. They are NOT report cards, but rather, they are “heads up” before report cards come out at the end of each trimester. As you review your scholar’s grades, if you have any questions, you are encouraged to contact your child’s teacher for the class in question, as he or she is your primary touchstone for that class.
We want to thank you for a smooth start to the school year. As a reminder students who are in the building (without after school activities/detention) at 4:00 (1:30 on Fridays) will be escorted to the MLK library. We will call you before leaving the building so that you are aware. We appreciate this transition and continuing to support us in creating a safe environment through the end of the day. Additionally, a few reminders regarding student culture:
- Students are not permitted to wait on the playground for parents to pick them up; there isn’t school staff and we need to ensure our students are always in safe environments.
- If a student is caught using their cell phone it will be turned in to the deans and you (the parent/guardian) will need to pick it up.
- Only solid black, white, gray and purple cardigans and sweatshirts are permitted to be worn in the building.
Lastly, a reminder about some upcoming events:
- PAC (Parent Advisory Committee) meeting/VILS
Rollout Event – Tuesday,
September 24 at 5 p.m. At 5:00 we
will start the iPad roll out, please make sure that you complete all
paperwork and pay the $20 tech fee prior to Tuesday in order to check out
your iPad. Please enter through the art room doors, you will receive a
stamp if you have completed your paperwork and paid the fee in the OL
room, then you will go to tech training in the Art room. Once the training
quiz is complete, you will get a signature and will be able to go to the
gym to check out your child’s iPad and get it setup. While we are working
to ensure this is a quick process, you should plan to be at CLA for 30-45
- Please note the September PAC meeting will begin at 5:45 in Mr. Burkholder’s room. If you are interested in staying, please try to get to the iPad rollout event by 5:00.
- Fall Student Led Conferences – We are working out the logistics, but they will be held on Thursday, October 10 (after school and early evening) and Friday, October 11 (morning, no school for students).
- Fall Break – We will not have school from Friday, October 11 through Sunday, October 20. School will resume for students on Monday, October 21. You should expect work to be sent home and completed during this break.
Sydney S. Gruhin